Latest posts by Monique Nelson (see all)
- Can Binge Eating Be Cured? - January 4, 2018
- Lentil Salad With Cumin Lime Dressing [Video Recipe] - January 1, 2018
- Whole Foods Holiday Feasting - December 24, 2017
Unless you’ve been away from Earth for a significant amount of time, you have heard of the “Green Smoothie” trend. I love me a great green smoothie! I drink them almost every day and whenever people look at me funny because they don’t like the taste of Kale, I don’t really understand where they’re coming from. I adore Kale. Love the stuff!
But here’s the thing, I don’t really taste the Kale in my smoothies. I certainly don’t taste spinach!
But my green smoothies are not only greens. I put other items in each one to mix it up with the vitamins, nutrients and minerals, not to mention flavour. It is my non-doctor, non-professional opinion that getting one cup of greens that you enjoy thoroughly and drink with gusto on a daily basis is much better for you than getting 5 cups of greens in a green juice that you refuse to finish even once. But that’s just me…
Today’s recipe is one of my best, if I do say so myself. If you don’t like green smoothies, but you do like Peanut Butter cups, this is the green smoothie recipe for you!
Here are some healthy, happy details and please always remember that I AM NOT A DOCTOR. If you have any concerns whatsoever please consult the professional of your choice. Do NOT rely on this blog post as any sort of medical recommendation or advice. This is especially important if you are currently taking any form of medication. Please talk to your doctor about the correct dietary recommendations.
- 1 cup of raw spinach has 56% or your recommended Daily Value (DV) of Vitamin A and 14% of your recommended DV Vitamin C
- If you swap the spinach out for kale, the percentages rise to 206% DV of Vitamin A and 134% DV of Vitamin C! It also adds almost 700% DV of Vitamin K and a nice assortment of other vitamins and minerals to boot.
- just so you know you’re safe, even thought these numbers are well over the recommended daily values, the margin for error in excess is quite high (like 10 times the DV) and studies only show difficulties with chronic exposure. It is always a good idea to mix up your veggies – and thus your vitamins and nutrients – so that your getting a varied range and variety in your daily routine.
- Peanut Butter, while admittedly quite high in calories, especially those derived from fat, it is a good, healthy fat (monounsaturated) and it is paired with a great, heaping helping of protein, fiber, just about every mineral known to humankind and even antioxidants. Peanuts are a powerhouse legume, my friend, and they deserve their very own post dedicated to their wonderful abilities!
- The Best Good-For-You Vegan Chocolate Glop Ever. That is the name brand and it does not lie. You can find this self-proclaimed “glop” over at KapowNow.ca and yes, the will ship outside of Canada. That is not an affiliate link, because they don’t yet have an affiliate program. But this stuff is heavenly and I recommend it loudly with my mouth full! Flavour-wise, I would compare it to Nutella, I think, only I like it even more. It has no nuts, soy or dairy, but instead gets all its delicious taste from Coconut oil, Dates, Cocoa, Hemp Hearts, Vanilla, and Salt (just a pinch). Each of those items are heart, body and soul health food!
I pack all of this into one of the smaller cups in my Nutri-Bullet, aka best friend. And then I drink it up. Every last drop. So without further adieu, please let me present, your smoothie (please read in the voice of Lalumiere from Disney’s rendition of Beauty and the Beast)!
- 1 Frozen Organic Banana
- 1 Cup Baby Spinach
- 2 Tbsp 100% Peanut Butter, Organic
- 2 Tbsp [url href=”http://kapownow.ca/collections/frontpage/products/best-good-for-you-vegan-chocolate-glop-ever”]Best Good-for-you Vegan Chocolate Glop Ever[/url]
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Raspberries
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Put everything into your blender of choice and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy the hidden greens!