Latest posts by Katryna Jolene (see all)
- Are You Stressed? I’m stressed. ARE YOU STRESSED!?…are you stressed now? - December 7, 2016
- Comfort Soup Recipe - November 30, 2016
- Indoor Aquaponics System: My new obsession - November 23, 2016
Good day everyone! Thank you for clicking and reading! I really appreciate you taking the time to look through my posts. I love the feedback and comments, keep ’em coming.
And how awesome is Choose to Cook?!?!
So, if you’ve read anything else I’ve written, you know that I have a stupid amount of busy going on all the time.
You’d also know that I’m not a recipe follower.
I don’t have time for reading and measuring. I just wanna eat, and stuff my kids mouths so I get a moment of ‘ssshhh time’.
Yesterday I went grocery shopping and bought these huge gluten free pasta shells. (The gluten free part was an accident.) It was an impulse buy, and I had no idea what to do with them.
Today was an exceptionally busy day. On top of getting the kids to and from school, I had to finishing grocery shopping, sort laundry, clean floors and make my tedious Halloween costume.
So why not choose today to try to cook something I’ve never attempted before?!
I’ve never made filling for anything before, I remember that my mom used beef and rice for stuffed peppers, but that’s not an option for me anymore.
So I Googled a bunch to find a super duper easy recipe for Vegan stuffed pasta.
There are lots. An overwhelming choices of things you can pack into pasta.
… Of course I didn’t have everything I wanted and I needed a food processor… back to the store.
Ok. Got the stuff I wanted.
I loosely followed the recipe here: http://www.smartbalance.com/recipes/spinach-and-mushroom-stuffed-shells-gluten-free-vegan
First time trying to follow a recipe, first time using a food processor.
CHAOS in my kitchen. Pretty much failed at both. But the end result was delicious.
Stuffed Pasta Shells Recipes [Vegan]
- Block of tofu
- A few cloves of garlic
- About Half an onion
- A bunch of spinach
- Most of an eggplant
- Chickpea juice
- Some sea salt
- Some black pepper
- Chunk of a lemon
- ¼ cup-ish of nutritional yeast
- Pasta sauce
- Box of big ass pasta shells
- : destroy a block of tofu, I used extra firm smoked tofu. Make it look like sand.
- : smash up garlic and onions, to make a little chunckier sand
- : whiz up a bunch of spinach and eggplant with the juice of about a quarter of a lemon and about half the juice from a can of unsalted organic chickpeas (you should use some olive oil instead of chickpeas juice, I didn't have any and coconut oil turned into a nightmare) along with some sea salt and black pepper.
*Step 3 was a disaster for me. I tried to sub olive oil for warmed coconut oil... don't do it, coconut oil goes right back to solid when it's not warm.
- : mix tofu and everything else together.
- : add in nutritional yeast.
- : squish and mix with your hands, take the days stress out on it!
- --Oh ya, boil the shells until their pliable, but don't over cook. Then cool them cause you gotta hold 'em to stuff 'em.
- : put some pasta sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- : stuff! Cram as much of the filling as you can into the shells and place filling side up in the saucy baking dish.
- : spoon a little sauce onto each of the shells.
- : cover with tinfoil and bake for 25 mins... field questions about when dinner is going to be ready...
- At the end of the 25 mins, take the foil off and bake 10 more mins.
- : they say to let stand for 5 mins.. but pffftttt I don't have time for that.
- It's eating time!
Holy crap! I finally made something that is super delicious and doesn’t look like I dug it out of a swamp!
My girl thought it was all cheese! Soooo good!
I made 12 stuffed shells, and fed 3 people with 4 left over for much lunch tomorrow!
I totally swayed from the recipe and didn’t measure anything properly and this is probably my favorite meal I’ve ever made!