Latest posts by Monique Nelson (see all)
- How To Drink More Water When You Don’t Like It - July 3, 2018
- Can Binge Eating Be Cured? - January 4, 2018
- Lentil Salad With Cumin Lime Dressing [Video Recipe] - January 1, 2018
Recipe: Gourmet Lazy Cabbage Rolls
One of my favorite things about choosing to cook my very own meals is the unlimited options that I have to be adventurous with my culinary arts (or lack thereof). I LOVE trying new foods and food combinations and I love, even more, being challenged to come up with something new.
I was introduced to this challenge by the lovely duo, It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken and One Ingredient Chef. Working together, they welcomed a collection of Vegan food bloggers to commit to developing a new recipe which would include 3 mystery ingredients. I committed instantly! The ingredients were revealed on December 5th: Cranberries, Pistachios and Coconut Milk. We were told that any additional ingredients could be included as necessary, but those three were mandatory! Que the brainstorming sessions!
I had ideas bursting out of me within moments and the next week brought forth not one, but THREE new recipes which would have met the criteria for the challenge AND were amazingly delicious, if I do say so myself! I chose my favorite to share with the challenge, though I will likely publish my other new inventions soon for your viewing and tasting pleasure as well, so please stay tuned!
The ingredients chosen were exactly the right elements to take my staple, standard lazy cabbage rolls to the next, very high level. I started with the coconut milk, which was used to marinate the grains (brown rice, black rice and brown lentils) as they cooked in it’s creaminess. Then I added the cranberries to my filling for a sweet, tart burst of flavour. (And I couldn’t forget to share with my pup, Ossa, as I chopped away).
Finally, the pistachio crumble which topped the filling, just below the cabbage cover, creates an amazing feel to every single bite, not unlike feta might if you happen to be into that sort of thing. The final outcome was more than I could have asked for, and I have made this dish (which is 6 servings worth) for myself a grand total of 3 times since inventing it. And I still can’t get enough!
If you’d like to skip right to the recipe, please do: Gourmet Lazy Cabbage Rolls
However, I want you to really pay attention to this fun fact: in addition to my exciting adventure with Pistachios, Cranberries & Coconut Milk, the Vegan Mystery Box Challenge is sharing with you an incredible selection of recipes in the very same flavour family as my Gourmet Lazy Cabbage Rolls. Please enjoy the feast from these wonderful fellow challengers:
- Vegan Cranberry Pistachio Loaf by It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
- Magic Fruit Cake Bars with White Chocolate Drizzle by One Ingredient Chef
- Cranberry Cheesecake & Pistachio Stuffed Vegan French Toast by Connoisseurus Veg
- Pistachio Crusted Cranberry Cashew Coconut Cheese by Lemon and Coconut
- Cranberry Pistachio and Mango Salad by Veggies Save the Day
- Cranberry Cointreau Coconut Ice Cream with Candied Pistachios by Vegan Yack Attack
- Cranberry Pistachio Donuts by Two City Vegans (Casey)
- Cranberry Pistachio Gingersnap Truffles by Two City Vegans (Alix)
- Warm Barley Bowl with Roasted Brussels, Sweet Potatoes and a Coconut Curry Dressing by Taste Space
- Whole Wheat Cranberry Pistachio Vegan Biscotti by Veggie Inspired Journey
- Coconut Pistachio Cashew Cheese Panini with Cranberry Jam by Peppers and Peaches
- Toasted Pistachio Rice Pudding with Candied Cranberries by The Lazy Vegan Baker
- Pistachio and Cranberry Cream Sandwich Cookies by Love Me Feed Me
- Vegan Meringue Nests with Cranberry Coconut Whip and Crushed Pistachios by The Viet Vegan
- Vegan Coconut Quinoa Salad by Beets Not Meats
- Cranberry Orange & Pistachio Muffins With Vanilla Cream by A Virtual Vegan
- Sweet Potato Coconut Curry with Cranberries and Pistachios by The Tofu Diaries
- Lebanese Semolina Pudding (Layali Lubnan) by Lands and Flavors
- Vegan Chocolate Cranberry Cake by The Seasonal Diet
- Jolly Bollywood Holiday Curry by Sexie Veggies
- 1/3 cup Brown Rice
- 1/3 cup Black Rice
- 1/3 cup Brown Lentils
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 4 large Carrots, cubed
- 2 Yellow Peppers, cubed
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz / 796 mL can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Dried Cranberries
- 1 cup Unsalted Pistachios, shelled and crushed
- 1 small head of Cabbage, approximately 1 lb, chopped and separated
- Add Rice & Lentils to pot with Coconut Milk
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to minimum
- Cook until liquid is gone, usually about 45 minutes, stirring once or twice
- While grains are cooking, chop and prep vegetables
- Once cooked, add Carrots, Peppers, Onion, Garlic, Cranberries and HALF the can of Diced Tomatoes to the grains and mix well
- Add filling evenly to casserole dish (mine is 9″ x 13″)
- Cover filling with an even dusting of crushed Pistachios
- Lazily cover everything with chopped Cabbage
- Evenly spread the remaining HALF can of Diced Tomatoes over the Cabbage
- Cover with Aluminium Foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes
- Remove Foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, cut into 6 servings and start eating!
I like the mix of grains and the meaty feel of the lentils, but if you prefer to stick to just rice, that will work just as well. Use 1 cup of uncooked rice and cook according to recommendations, simply replacing the water with coconut milk.
If pistachios are unavailable or too expensive in your area, crushed walnuts are a great substitution. If there is a nut allergy, you can omit. Before becoming Vegan, I used to make a similar recipe with Feta cheese instead of pistachios, but if you are going to continue eating dairy, please make sure that it is at least organic, free-range, and ethically raised.
If cranberries are unavailable to you for any reason, their slightly sweeter cousin Raisins are a nice substitution, but I would prefer the deeper flavour of currents myself!
If you make any other substitutions, please share them with the rest of the group by leaving a comment below!