Latest posts by Monique Nelson (see all)
- Is Intermittent Fasting For Everyone? - April 11, 2017
- The One Nutrient You are Nearly Guaranteed to be Deficient In - April 10, 2017
- Running is the Devil’s Exercise – quote - April 7, 2017
I think I’ve mentioned before that I have a friend who is constantly teasing me for loving my own food as much as I do. I just can’t help myself – I find my cooking delicious! But this soup…this creation blows all others out of the water. All I want to do is eat. This.
It has all the workings of a great meal – it was super easy, it included the use of my best friend, my slow cooker, it made enough for about 6 meals (probably 10 if you only eat a reasonable portion size, but I am definitely NOT reasonable when it comes to this soup) and it freezes really well. Not that it made it to my freezer…but it would have frozen really well. It’s also healthy of course!
So here’s the story…
Last weekend I went a bit crazy at the grocery store. There seemed to be a lot of sale organic veggies, so I basically bought everything. I grabbed a bag of sweet potatoes and a head of cabbage and I thought that sounded pretty good for the starting of a soup…
I chopped up 2 large sweet potatoes and steamed them in my silicon microwave steamer for 10 minute. I knew I was going to be pureeing this, so I did peel them this time. While they were steaming, I chopped up the entire head of cabbage. Once steamed I added to my other best friend, my Nutri Bullet, with some water and pureed till smooth. Then I dumped it all into my crock pot, added the cabbage, two cans of coconut milks and about 2 tbsp of liquid smoke. Oh my goodness, that liquid smoke was the best decision I have ever made (yes, I realize I’m a bit dramatic) and it was a spur of the moment idea as I was searching through my fridge for flavouring ideas. SO FREAKING GOOD.
The cabbage needed to cook for a while, so I left the slow cooker on high for about an hour while I went on to create more food. If you haven’t been reading long, I do a lot of cooking on the weekends so that I don’t have to throughout the week. I usually make 3 – 4 different meal ideas and switch it up all week long as well as freeze a bunch for future meals. Anyways…
Did you guys notice the cauliflower shortage of the last few months? I was honestly going through symptoms of withdrawal and now that I can get these lovely heads of florets again at a somewhat reasonable price, I am going overboard. So last weekend I got myself a huge head of cauliflower, which I chopped up, added in a few chopped up potatoes – skin on, tossed with some coconut oil and dill and roasted it all. I knew that there would be enough to create multiple meals, which is the best for me. And it was easy – prep took about 15 minutes, and then I just had to wait for about 45 minutes while they roasted in the oven. Simple.
Once they were finished roasting, I added about half to the soup and brought the temp down to low. I let it simmer for another hour or so, letting the flavours soak up really well. And then…I tried the masterpiece. Just…oh my goodness. It is SO DELICIOUS. I seriously don’t want to eat anything else ever again.
So, here you go…the recipe!
Smoked Sweet Potato Soup with Cabbage and Dill Roasted Cauliflower and Potatoes
- Dill Roasted Veggies
- 5 – 6 medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 5 sprigs of Dill
- 1 Bulb of Garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Soup Base
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes, chopped
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Head of Cabbage, chopped
- 2 Cans of [full fat] Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Liquid Smoke
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Chop your Russet Potatoes into bite-sized pieces, with the skin on
- Add them to a large roasting pan
- Melt the coconut oil (30 – 45 seconds in a microwave) and pour about half over the potatoes
- Add to oven while you continue to chop the cauliflower
- The potatoes take bit longer to cook, so this is handy
- Chop up your cauliflower into bite-sized pieces
- Chop up or pull apart your fresh Dill
- Skin all the cloves from your bulb of garlic, and chop the crunchy base off each one
- Take your potatoes out of the oven and add the Cauliflower, Dill, garlic and rest of Coconut Oil
- Toss carefully or mix well to combine and add back to the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Mix once about halfway through.
- Peel and chop up your sweet potatoes
- Add to a steamer or glass bowl with a lid and microwave for 10 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can steam in pot or stovetop steamer.
- Chop up head of Cabbage by quartering and slicing
- Once the sweet potatoes are steamed, add them to a blender with a cup of water
- I had to do this in two parts, because my blender wasn’t quite big enough for everything at once
- Add the pureed sweet potatoes, coconut milk and liquid smoke to your slow cooker and mix well to combine everything
- Add your chopped cabbage
- NOTE: I have a 7 quart slow cooker. If yours is smaller, you may have to adapt the recipe size…just use half of everything listed here
- Cook on HIGH for 1 hour
- Add Roasted Veggies, reduce temperature to LOW and let simmer for another hour
- Serve and enjoy!